Where did the Pitbulls come from?
A Pitbull is a breed of dog that descended from terriers and bulldogs. They originated in the United Kingdom and were used for blood sports entertaining the public since the sixteenth century.
They were notoriously used in dog fights in England and America, becoming famous as violent dogs used by certain illegal individuals.
On the other hand, Pitbulls were used as police dogs, border patrols, and some even became famous for starring in movies.
What are the different types of Pitbull dogs?
Pitbulls share similar bodily characteristics. However, the changes and variations of the crossbreeds give certain distinctive traits. For example, having a bulky body aspect and a head squarely shaped.
According to the Federation Cynologique Internationale there are three types of Pitbulls:
- Bull Terrier – has a mellow temperament, protective, and is easy to train from a puppy. Due to its affection, this dog is child-friendly and suitable for families that want to own a guard dog.
- Miniature Bull Terrier – its small size makes it ideal for compact spaces. Easy to maintain, it doesn’t require much grooming. It is characterized by a stubborn streak and is best trained when still a puppy.
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier – a fearless dog, intelligent and affectionate. It’s a very reliable dog and easily trainable. Ideal for owners that don’t want to deal with the mess of dog hairs everywhere thanks to its minimal shedding.
In the USA, The American Kennel Club ads the American Staffordshire Terrier on the Pitbull breeds list. This type of dog is devoted and extremely loyal and has a friendly manner with kids. Due to its strength, it is advisable to start the training from an early age.
You need to be aware that there are restrictive rules that apply to some dog breeds in different places. You might need permission to keep a dog in some dwellings.
Some Pitbull types are now on the list of restricted dog breeds.
Where are Pit Bulls banned?
In the United Kingdom, owning or breeding Pit Bull Terriers is illegal, while many states have a ban on Pit Bull dog breeds in the USA. You will need to ensure you know the local law before acquiring your pet.
Few tips for new Pit Bull dog owners
- Before deciding on buying a Pitbull make sure you research their different characteristics to have an idea of how it will fit with you.
- Keep your dog on a leash when outside to avoid any incidents. There is a risk of being seen negatively by other people or cause fear because of the negativity around this breed due to its aggressive past.
- In some instances, you might be required to place a muzzle on your pet.
- As a Pit Bull owner, you are required to supervise your dog at all times especially around children.
- Train your dog as soon as possible and ask for expert advice on how to deal with it when outdoors and around other dogs.
- To reduce its natural aggressiveness and protect it from possible health issues it is necessary to spay (sterilize) and neuter your pet.
- If you own your home you will need to add your dog to its insurance
Pitbull homeowners insurance
You are required to add your pet on the home insurance with personal liability insurance that would help in case your dog bites or injures someone. Depending on where you live, rules, costs and possible add-ons differ.
It is important that your dog hasn’t a history of aggressiveness as the insurance company might refuse coverage.
There might be other restrictions in place, so it is important to research the market a bit before signing for new insurance.
Advantages of owning a Pitbull
- Owning a Pit Bull will bring you a friend for life. They are extremely attached to their owners and always ready to offer protection.
- It’s the perfect breed as a guard dog, especially for families.
- They enjoy being active and make suitable companions for active owners.
- Their short hair makes them the ideal pet for someone that wants a low-maintenance dog.
Disadvantages of owning a Pitbull
- There are restrictions in place that might make it difficult to live with your dog in some areas.
- This breed is perceived as violent and might prove difficult to socialize.
- They don’t like being left alone for long times
- Might be aggressive towards other dogs, making it difficult to contain them outdoors
How to take care of your Pitbull
One of the best ways to care for your puppy is by training it straight away to make sure it knows the base rules and positively impact its general well-being.
Make space for your dog. Create a cosy and comfortable atmosphere by buying a dog bed or a kennel.
Ensure it has a healthy and diverse diet.
Take care of its physical needs and learn how train your dog to poop in one spot.
Go for regular check-ups at a dog clinic and ensure it is microchipped and vaccinated.
What is the best dog food for a Pitbull?
- Pitbulls can be fed with homemade dog food that needs to contain protein, steamed or boiled veggies, and even rice.
- Vegetables and fruits need to be part of their diet to balance the 70 percent of protein needed by your pet.
- Canned dog food
- Small treats
To find out more about Pitbulls, I recommend you find owners who can tell you about day-to-day life with a Pitbull. Ask for professional advice from the breeders and dog specialists.
If you are still in love with the idea of owning a Pitbull, you might as well spend some money to treat yourself with a personalized gift to show your pride with your new acquisition.
Gifts for Pitbull lovers
On the market, you can find items that show that you are a happy Pitbull owner such as:
- Pitbull stickers – in all shapes and sizes at various prices
- Pitbull car decals for windows, Cheap Pitbull decal stickers can be found online on various websites.
- Pitbull pins – with funny photos or sayings
- Pitbull owner shirts
- Personalized T-shirts and cushions
- Pitbull sweaters for humans
Gifts suitable for your new pet:
- Collars – in a variety of sizes and colors
- Toys – best if buying toys that are hard to destroy (remember that you now own a strong dog)
- Food and water trays
- Dog treats
- Pitbull sweaters for dogs